Tuesday, August 7, 2007

What I have to say about Paula Deen

I love her! How could anyone not love, this southern food cookin,down to earth, rags to wishes, spunky woman? I recently had the joy of reading Paula Deen's new book "It A'int All About The Cookin" and what can I say? It's not. This woman has an amazing story and was even on Larry King last the other night.
For those of you unfamiliar, Paula has 2 shows on the food network. She is not a "chef" but she can cook. To me, that's what it's all about. Sure I enjoy watching the expertise of Mario Batali, Bobby Flay and Alton Brown, but when it comes down to brass tacks, how many of us can cook like them. Shoot, how many of us would truly enjoy what they cook? (sea urchin anyone?) However, I know that no matter what day of the week I can turn on one of Paula's shows (Paula's Party or Paula's Home Cookin') and see somthing I might (and have) tried to cook myself.
This woman is a sucess in more ways then one. She is a mother of 2 boys and did everything she could to make a way for them. She is all about family, and found love over 50. You could say she has lived 2 lives. Both very different, however both connected by one common denomintor, FOOD. GOOD FOOD.
My grandmother is from louisiana, so some of the things Paula descibes in he rbook, I am familiar with. There are others that I am itching to try.
The book is an easy read. I ready a lot, however someone who doesn't should not be discouraged by it's thickness. The book was enjoyable and she even includes recipes not found in her cookbooks. She tells a story, the story of her life from her point of view. With her southern drawl and cussin. She calls us ya'll and makes you feel as though you are sitting in her kitchen and she is talking to you and only you.
Anyone who enjoys food,cookin', eating or just a good story told by a truly amazing woman, I suggest you read this book.

No comments: