Monday, June 11, 2007

I love Old People

I got a bright idea from Corrine today, who said that I should write about my life as a concierge for the elderly facility I work for. I have worked here for 6 years and through all the stories I have told, have never written any of them down.

I'm a concierge, I work at a high end retirement home so they are too good to call me a receptionist. Face it, we arn't in france, I sit here answering the phone all night, I'm a damn receptionist. My job consists of answering the phone and making sure the not quite sane residents don't escape. It's not too bad, but I admit it gets a little boring.

Since I'm here at the desk and not working on the floor I dont know all the residents names anymore, so I resort to nicknames for those who don't bug me so much that I have to know thier names.

Here she comes....I know her name, but she has earned a nickname, miss thing. She is on the verge of crazy, but sane enouph to know what she's saying. You know, only crazy when it's convinient?

Today it's a newspaper, it's 6pm and she wants to know if I deliver her newspaper. I politely say the newspapers come in the morning and I dont know if she got one. She misinterprets that as "you dont get a damn paper!" because she turns into "miss thing" before my eyes. " OH I GET A PAPER, I GOT A PAPER!!!"

Okay then, you got a paper, I'm happy for you, no I didnt deliver it, no I don't know who does, yes your room is upstairs, yes that is your room number and no I am NOT being sarcastic with you. (Although I feel as I have a right considering you just yelled at me for no reason.)

The chickens are here, 2 ladies who constantly talk about how people sneak into thier rooms to steal thier glasses and hearing aids (ewww) tomorrow they won't remember this conversation, yet they are fuming mad. Back and forth they go wispering and pointing. I feel bad for chicken number one, she feels genuinly sorry for chicken number 2 who has lived here much longer then her and does this every other day, she doesnt even own hearing aids. Besides no one would dare enter her room with those damn cats it smells like ammonia in there, stings your eyes from the hall. I wonder if she'll call the cops again?

No comments: